Decatur Bus Accidents Lawyers
Many people take public transportation, such as buses, to get to work or school. Buses, particularly school buses, are generally built to be sturdy and are therefore very safe. However, buses often lack the safety features that most passenger vehicles have, such as seat belts, airbags, crumple zones, and rollover protection. In fact, many buses are crowded, making the situation even worse if the bus were to be involved in an accident.
A bus accident can cause a lot of serious injuries to the driver or passengers. However, since buses are commercial vehicles, the legal process to recover compensation can be complex and daunting. The Decatur bus accidents lawyers at Shiver Hamilton Campbell can make the process easier. We will thoroughly review accident reports, medical records, and insurance documents to put your bus accident case in the best light and help you get the compensation you deserve for your injuries and other damages.
Causes of Bus Accidents
Bus crashes are typically caused by the following:
- Bus driver error. Bus drivers must have the training and skill to operate a large vehicle in crowded surroundings, particularly with loud children and other distractions.
- Blind spots. Buses are long and have a lot of blind spots. Drivers need to be aware of vehicles in their blind spots or they could cause accidents.
- Left turns. Making a left turn is especially difficult for bus drivers. Other drivers need to be aware of the dangers involved.
- Extreme weather conditions. Windy and rainy conditions can cause a bus to be unable to stop in time or lose control.
- Fatigue. Some bus drivers work long hours. By the end of their shift, they can get overtired and this can affect their ability to drive safely.
- Negligent practices. Bus companies have a lot of responsibility to prevent accidents. They need to follow proper procedures when it comes to hiring, training, and maintenance. Cutting corners can lead to unskilled drivers and poorly maintained buses.
Who is Liable?
Unlike passenger vehicle accidents, bus crashes are not as cut and dry. When a bus crashes, it’s not just the driver who could be at fault. Multiple parties may share in the liability. Liable parties may include:
- Bus driver
- Tour bus operator
- Other drivers involved
- Maintenance company
- Bus owner
- Bus/bus part manufacturer
- Bus stop property owner
- School/school district (if it is a school bus)
- City, county, or state government agency
Contact Our Decatur Bus Accidents Lawyer Today
If you have been involved in a bus accident, be sure to follow state laws. Bus accident laws in Georgia can be complicated, so be sure to seek legal help right away. You have two years to file a claim, so don’t delay.
Bus accidents can be complicated, but the Decatur lawyers at Shiver Hamilton Campbell can help you get through the process with ease. Our aggressive team will help you pursue justice and compensation. Schedule a free consultation with our team today. Call our office at (877) 215-6111 or fill out the online form.