Decatur Bicycle Accidents Lawyers
Riding a bicycle is a great form of exercise. However, once you get onto the roadway with motor vehicles, staying alive becomes a major deal. Many automobile drivers consider bicyclists as annoying second-class citizens. Some drivers refuse to share the road with bicycles and even go as far as to run these bike riders off the road.
Bicycle accidents commonly result in catastrophic injuries and even death. While some bicyclists cause their own crashes, motorists are usually at fault. If you have been involved in a bike accident, contact the Decatur bicycle accident lawyers at Shiver Hamilton Campbell. We will help you get the compensation you deserve.
Common Bicycle Accident Injuries
A bicycle crash can cause the following injuries:
- Broken bones
- Road rash
- Head injuries
- Back and neck injuries
- Internal injuries
- Organ damage
Causes of Bicycle Accidents
Bicycle crashes can be caused by various factors, such as:
- Distracted driving. This is a top cause of all types of traffic accidents. Drivers aren’t always paying attention to the road thanks to technology such as smartphones. This makes it hard for them to react quickly to bicycles.
- Following too closely. Many drivers tailgate bicyclists, leaving them very little room to maneuver. This can lead to a crash.
- Speeding. Going too fast can make it difficult for a vehicle to slow down in time to avoid hitting a bicycle. The higher the speed, the more severe the injuries.
- Not following traffic laws. Bicycle accidents often happen at intersections in neighborhoods. Running a stop sign or red light can cause a vehicle to collide with a bicycle that has the right of way, resulting in serious injuries.
- Unsafe lane changes. Vehicles often merge into bicycle lanes without looking. This can cause them to sideswipe a bicycle, forcing it off the road. Even at low speeds, an accident of this type can still cause a lot of damage.
Ways to Stay Safe
Stay safe while bike riding with these tips:
- Wear the proper equipment. A helmet that fits and reflective clothing can protect you.
- Make sure the bike works. Test the brakes and tires to ensure you can ride the bike safely. You don’t want to be going downhill when you find out your brakes don’t work.
- Make your bike visible. Reflectors and headlights can help you see and be seen. This is especially important at night.
- Plan your route. If you can, try to avoid riding your bike in high-traffic areas with motor vehicles. Instead, choose a less-traveled street or bike path.
- Obey traffic signals. Stop at stop signs and stop lights, just like other vehicles.
Contact A Decatur Bicycle Accidents Lawyer Today
While riding a bicycle can be an easier way to get from place to place, it’s not always the safest way. Bicycles and motor vehicles don’t always mix, and when they do collide, the bicyclist is usually the one who gets seriously injured.
Bicycle crashes can cause numerous injuries. Seek legal help from the Decatur lawyers at Shiver Hamilton Campbell. We understand the results of a serious accident and can help make you whole again. Fill out the online form or call (877) 215-6111 to schedule a free consultation.