Margaret “Maggy” Randels
Maggy began her legal career as a judicial clerk to Thomas W. Thrash, Jr., the Chief Judge for the United States District Court for the Northern District of Georgia. There, she assisted the Judge in drafting orders and learned the intricate inner workings of the federal court system.
Following the completion of her clerkship, Maggy joined a large international law firm where she worked to defend a corporation facing multiple individual products liability suits as the result of a decertified class action. Additionally, Maggy took on several pro bono cases, including successfully representing the uncle of two unaccompanied immigrant children from Guatemala. Maggy assisted her client in obtaining guardianship of his nieces, the first step in obtaining special immigrant juvenile status for the children.
Since graduating from the University of Georgia, Maggy has remained active in the law school’s moot court and mock trial programs, serving as a guest judge as well as a team coach. Maggy also serves as a coach for the Georgia State University Mock Trial Team through the American Mock Trial Association and as a coach for the Westminster Schools’s high school mock trial team through the State Bar of Georgia.
Maggy and her husband, Doug, live in the Old Fourth Ward neighborhood of Atlanta.
University of Georgia School of Law, Athens, Georgia
- Juris Doctor, summa cum laude
- Order of the Coif
- Order of the Barristers
- Executive Articles Editor, Georgia Law Review
- Champion & Third Best Brief, Moot Court National Championship
- Champion & Outstanding Trial Brief, South Texas Mock Trial Challenge
- National Best Brief & Regional Champion, ABA NAAC Moot Court
- Semifinalist, Buffalo-Niagara Mock Trial Competition
- Champion, J. Melvin England Mock Trial Competition
- Semifinalist, J. Ralph Beaird Closing Argument Competition
- Quarterfinalist, Talmadge Moot Court Competition
- Ronald Carlson Award for Excellence in the Study of Evidence
- Pupil, Henry Joseph Lumpkin Inn of Court
Washington University in St. Louis
- A.B., with college honors
- Majors: Political Science and Latin American Studies
- Mock Trial Team
- Georgia Court of Appeals
- Georgia Supreme Court
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Georgia
- U.S. District Court, Middle District of Georgia
- Eleventh Circuit Court of Appeals
Honors & Awards
- Super Lawyers Rising Star 2020
- GTLA LEAD Class Member, 2018-2019
- Henry Joseph Lumpkin Inn of Court, Barrister, 2018-2020
- Panel discussion regarding trucking litigation for the Georgia Trial Lawyers Association New Lawyers Division. Covered topics ranging from direct action, to venue, to evidence to seek in discovery, May 2021.
Past Employment Positions
- Jones Day
- Law Clerk to Thomas W. Thrash, Jr., Chief Judge for the United States District Court for the Northern District of Georgia
Professional Associations and Memberships
- State Bar of Georgia
- Federal Bar Association
- Georgia Trial Lawyers Association